Leg or foot amputation - dressing change
You will need to change the dressing on your limb. This will help your stump heal and stay healthy.
Gather the supplies you will need to change your dressing, and place them on a clean work area. You will need:
- Paper tape
- Gauze pads or clean wash cloths to clean and dry your wound
- ADAPTIC dressing that does not stick to the wound
- 4-inch by 4-inch (10 cm by 10 cm) gauze pad, or 5-inch by 9-inch (13 cm by 23cm) abdominal dressing pad (ABD)
- Gauze wraps or Kling roll
- Plastic bag
- A basin for water and soap to clean your hands while changing the dressings
Lavelle DG. Amputations of the lower extremity. In: Azar FM, Beaty JH, Canale ST, eds. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 13th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2017:chap 16.
Rose E. Management of amputations. In: Roberts JR, Custalow CB, Thomsen TW, eds. Roberts and Hedges' Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine and Acute Care. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2019:chap 47.
The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma website. Nagy K. Discharge instructions for wound cares. www.aast.org/discharge-instructions-for-wound-cares. Updated August 2013. Accessed May 14, 2018.
US Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA/DoD clinical practice guideline: Rehabilitation of lower limb amputation (2017). www.healthquality.va.gov/guidelines/Rehab/amp. Updated October 3, 2018. Accessed May 14, 2018.